Shocking New Research Suggests Taking Multivitamins Has the Opposite Effect

multivitamins and healthThe lack of evidence on multivitamin health benefits is no impediment to their widespread popularity, with over half the U.S. population popping such pills. This translates into a $27 billion industry, which lures consumers with the illusory promise of better health.

But shocking new research suggests taking multivitamins might have the opposite effect — not simply on the metabolic level, but on a metaphysical one: promoting a false sense of invulnerability that actually leads users to engage in riskier behaviors.

Taiwanese researchers conducted an experiment in which they gave placebos to 82 adults (45 women, 37 men, average age 31). Half of this group was led to believe that the placebo they were taking was a multivitamin. After one week, all participants took surveys regarding their inclinations towards various healthy vs. less healthy behaviors. The results were astounding. Those subjects thinking they were taking multivitamins registered a 44% higher tendency to engage in hedonistic activities (e.g., casual sex, sunbathing, partying, binge drinking), as well as a 61% increased preference for all-you-can-eat buffets over healthy meals. Compared to the placebo group, the “multivitamin” group not only reported exercising 14% less, they were 66% more likely to walk the shortest distance to their goal over a given time.

The authors conclude that people relying on a multivitamin pay a hidden price, believing they have greater invulnerability and so adopt lazy, riskier behaviors that may actually lead to the exact opposite health outcomes they desire. With regard to direct health impact, a “state-of-the-science” NIH panel found insufficient evidence to recommend multivitamin usage, while the National Cancer Institute actually found that men who take more than seven multivitamins a week are a third more likely to experience advanced prostate cancer. The American Heart Association urges people to forgo antioxidant supplements in favor of fruit and vegetables to minimize cardiovascular disease risk. Antioxidant pills may even block certain metabolic benefits of exercise.

10 comments for “Shocking New Research Suggests Taking Multivitamins Has the Opposite Effect

1. March 11, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I don’t even understand how I stopped up here, however I believed this submit was once good.

I do not realize who you’re but definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger should you aren’t already.
    Cheers!

2. March 30, 2014 at 3:44 pm

This is a topic that is near to my heart… Thank you! Exactly where are your contact
    details though?

3. April 30, 2014 at 12:01 am

After I initially commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get four emails
    with the exact same comment. Perhaps there is a way you are able to remove me from that
    service? Kudos!

4. September 13, 2014 at 4:10 am

I don’t seriously care how or after i get the Letters in the Mail. Every time it arrives, it feels like a letter should be. It’s suddenly there in my mail box a single day. A wonderful, tangible surprise. I am for you doing whatever you want when you send it. Mix it up to the folks who help get it sent out. Include crumbs from your lunch. Coffee stains. Whatever. Keep the tedious nature of getting letters out to a minimum by doing whatever you feel like that day. The arrival of your letter and the words of your author inside are what matters. Personally, what I like very best about The Rumpus is that I by no means understand what I’ll browse that day. Or if there is not one that day, maybe it’s because Stephen couldn’t uncover anything to say or there was as well much going on.

5. September 13, 2014 at 10:24 am

The job of an aesthetic dentist is entirely various from a corrective dentist.

While restorative dental practitioner is involved with fixing major oral
    problems like missing out on teeth, filling up gaps
    in teeth and such things, aesthetic dental practitioner is a lot more included
    with working out things that help a person in getting that ideal smile.

6. September 14, 2014 at 2:56 am

This is a topic that’s near to my heart… Best wishes!
    Exactly where are your contact details though?

7. September 15, 2014 at 10:24 am

Hello there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say
    I genuinely enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums
    that go over the same subjects? Thanks!

8. September 15, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Thank goodness for ecru, amongst my good shades! Also liked all on the suggestions about tips on how to believe from the box when incorporating white into an outfit.

9. September 16, 2014 at 2:19 am

Wonderful submit. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed! Very helpful facts specially the very last part I treatment for these types of facts a good deal. I had been seeking this certain information for just a incredibly extended time. Thank you and ideal of luck.

10. September 16, 2014 at 4:10 pm

What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable knowledge on the
    topic of unpredicted emotions.