Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s illness deciphered after 150 years

Elizabeth Barrett BrowningKnown for her poetry, letters, love affair and marriage to Robert Browning, Elizabeth Barrett Browning also left a legacy of unanswered questions about her lifelong chronic illness. Now, a Penn State anthropologist, with the aid of her daughter, may have unraveled the mystery.

Born in 1806, Barrett Browning suffered throughout her life from incapacitating weakness, heart palpitations, intense response to heat and cold, intense response to illnesses as mild as a cold, and general exhaustion in bouts that lasted from days to months or years. Her doctors were unable to diagnose or treat her illness, which apparently first appeared around age 13.

“Conjectures by modern biographers about Barrett Browning’s condition include anorexia nervosa, neurasthenia; tuberculosis; pertussis, an encephalomyelitis; non-paralytic poliomyelitis; paralytic scoliosis, or the lifetime effects of injuries to her spine from falling from her horse in early adolescence; opium addiction; and mental illness, including anxiety and agoraphobia,” Anne Buchanan, research associate in anthropology, reports in the current issue of Perspectives in Biology and Medicine.

Some even attribute her illness to defense against the inferior status and treatment of Victorian women, or simply to malingering.

Ellen Buchanan Weiss, Buchanan’s daughter, noted the symptoms recorded in Barrett Browning’s letters because the symptoms seemed so similar to those that she experienced. Buchanan Weiss has hypokalemic periodic paralysis (HKPP), a muscle disorder that causes blood levels of potassium to fall because potassium becomes trapped in muscle cells. The disorder was first described in 1874 in German and then in 1901 in English. Barrett Browning died in 1861, long before physicians would have any idea of HKPP.

Today, oral or intravenous potassium can prevent or stop an attack, but there is no cure for the disorder, which may be genetic, either inherited or caused by a sporadic mutation. According to Buchanan, there is slight evidence of an uncle in Barrett Browning’s family who may have suffered the same symptoms. While Elizabeth and Robert did have a son, he apparently had no offspring so there are no living descendants.

A variety of triggers can initiate weakness for people with a periodic paralysis, says Buchanan.

Common triggers for people with HKPP include anything that increases secretion of insulin

• alcohol
  • hunger
  • high carbohydrate foods
  • table salt
  • excessive heat or cold
  • sudden temperature change
  • illness
  • sleep
  • exercise or
  • some medications.

Symptoms of HKPP generally first appear at puberty.

Barrett Browning’s first bout occurred after a minor illness, which was followed by measles. Her health continued to decline, and although physicians were unable to diagnose her malady, one prescribed opium to which she became addicted for life. This illness lasted for more than a year and at times she was so weak she could not sit upright without support.

Barrett Browning writes in the diary that she kept during her 25th year of other triggers for her ailment. She notes becoming weak after eating a generous portion of honey, a substance that would increase insulin production. She reports an episode that followed an outing where she ran down a hill, was rained upon and thoroughly soaked.

Throughout her life, she suffered terribly during the cold damp winters in England, especially in London, and only found some relief after marrying Robert Browning and escaping to the warmer, milder climate of Italy.

Other incidents in her life that she recorded include suffering terribly after a day of religious fasting. Hunger is a strong HKPP trigger. Her letters to Browning, her 25th year diary and other letters to friends and relatives describe not only the symptoms of her disease, which mirror those of HKPP suffers and Buchanan Weiss specifically, but also a list of triggers that are now known to be specific triggers for HKPP.

After two years of declining health, Barrett Browning died on June 29, 1861, in Browning’s arms.

Buchanan notes that “many others have read these same descriptions, looking for clues to her illness, but my daughter’s experience with HKPP has given us a perhaps unique lens through which to view them.”

See also…

The Life of Elizabeth Barrett Browning

The illnesses of Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Why Does the Brain Prefer Opium to Broccoli?

Did Mozart Die Because of a Vitamin D Deficiency?

###

17 comments for “Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s illness deciphered after 150 years

1. September 13, 2014 at 3:25 pm

excellent app many thanks for sharing

2. September 15, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I feel the Kaiser-then GM Willow Operate plant built B-24s prior to they built cars

3. September 16, 2014 at 12:30 am

Love these quite a bit! Thanks. Edwina Brown

4. September 19, 2014 at 5:54 pm

It’s an honor to have the free chemistry environment magazine app.

5. September 22, 2014 at 3:49 am

I really have enjoyed the submit, but your web site is pretty broken in Google Chrome. What theme are you using?

6. September 26, 2014 at 5:32 am

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for 1

7. September 28, 2014 at 2:27 am

property for sale and to rent London Battersea and sw8

8. September 28, 2014 at 1:28 pm

This site is one of the best I have found.

9. September 28, 2014 at 2:03 pm

This paragraph is truly a nice one it helps new the web visitors, who are wishing for blogging.

10. September 29, 2014 at 1:20 am

They certainly are playful and dextrous, tending to appropriate and play with small objects for hours on end — not to mention titter and squee at their owners and each other incessantly.
    Ferrets are also prone to certain illnesses – and injuries – and may also require emergency services.
    Most ferrets are easily trained to use a litter box and it helps if it is kept in the same
    place in their cage or in the corners of your “ferret room”.

11. September 29, 2014 at 2:10 am

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

12. September 29, 2014 at 10:27 am

Well I sincerely liked studying it. This information procured by you is very helpful for accurate planning.

13. September 29, 2014 at 11:26 am

It’s the ideal time to produce a several blueprints for any long run this is time to feel special. We’ve read this offered in case I might I personally prefer to counsel you quite a few useful concerns and also assistance. You could possibly may generate subsequent content articles in regards to this document. I need to discover more troubles over it!

14. September 29, 2014 at 11:43 am

I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this website. I’m hoping the same high-grade site post from you in the upcoming as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me to get my own web site now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a good example of it.

15. September 29, 2014 at 12:54 pm

You could certainly see your skills within the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart.

16. September 29, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

17. September 29, 2014 at 6:40 pm

My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on a variety of websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!