Dramatic Rise in Skin Cancer Among Young Adults

Researchers speculate indoor tanning bed use, childhood sunburns are key culprits

dramatic rise in skin cancer in young adultsEven as the rates of some cancers are falling, Mayo Clinic is seeing an alarming trend: the dramatic rise of skin cancer, especially among people under 40. According to a study by Mayo Clinic researchers published in the April issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, the incidence of melanoma has escalated, and young women are the hardest hit.

“We anticipated we’d find rising rates, as other studies are suggesting, but we found an even higher incidence than the National Cancer Institute had reported using the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Result database, and in particular, a dramatic rise in women in their 20s and 30s,” says lead investigator Jerry Brewer, M.D., a Mayo Clinic dermatologist. Researchers conducted a population-based study using records from the Rochester Epidemiology Project, a decades-long database of all patient care in Olmsted County, Minn. They looked for first-time diagnoses of melanoma in patients 18 to 39 from 1970 to 2009. The study found the incidence of melanoma increased eightfold among young women and fourfold among young men. The lifetime risk of melanoma is higher in males than females, but the opposite is true in young adults and adolescents, Dr. Brewer says.

Researchers also found mortality rates from the disease have improved over the years, likely due to early detection of skin cancer and prompt medical care.

“People are now more aware of their skin and of the need to see a doctor when they see changes,” Dr. Brewer says. “As a result, many cases may be caught before the cancer advances to a deep melanoma, which is harder to treat.”

The researchers speculate that the use of indoor tanning beds is a key culprit in the rising cancer rate in young women.

“A recent study reported that people who use indoor tanning beds frequently are 74 percent more likely to develop melanoma, and we know young women are more likely to use them than young men,” Dr. Brewer says. Despite abundant information about the dangers of tanning beds, he adds, young women continue to use them. “The results of this study emphasize the importance of active interventions to decrease risk factors for skin cancer and, in particular, to continue to alert young women that indoor tanning has carcinogenic effects that increase the risk of melanoma.”

Janey Helland, of Mapleton, Minn., didn’t think twice when tanning in high school and college.

“I used tanning beds to get ready for homecoming and prom,” she says. “In college, I tanned before a trip to Barbados because I didn’t want to get sunburned.” At age 21, Helland noticed an abnormal spot on her leg. It was melanoma, and the diagnosis changed Helland’s life. “I really didn’t know what my future was going to look like, or if I’d even have one.”

Two years later, she is cancer-free and dedicated to educating others. “I would advocate that it’s better to be safe than sorry,” she says. “My advice is to educate yourself and research the risk factors.”

Childhood sunburns and ultraviolet exposure in adulthood may also contribute to melanoma development, the researchers say.

###

The study was funded in part by the National Institutes of Health. Other authors include Kurtis Reed, M.D., Christine Lohse, Kariline Bringe, Crystal Pruitt, and Lawrence Gibson, M.D. all of Mayo Clinic.

About Mayo Clinic

Mayo Clinic is a nonprofit worldwide leader in medical care, research and education for people from all walks of life. For more information, visit www.mayoclinic.org/about/ and www.mayoclinic.org/news.

20 comments for “Dramatic Rise in Skin Cancer Among Young Adults

1. Pingback: - Study Group America
  2. September 13, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Awfully illuminating thanks, I do think your current visitors may perhaps want a whole lot more subject material such as this continue the great effort.

3. September 15, 2014 at 6:30 pm

It truly is certainly a great and practical piece of information. I’m delighted that you simply just shared this helpful info with us. Be sure to stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

4. September 19, 2014 at 10:04 pm

for those of us just getting started, is there any chance of getting some with the letters mailed in the past?

5. September 20, 2014 at 7:21 am

I just want to say I’m newbie to blogs and honestly liked you’re web-site. Probably I’m likely to bookmark your blog post . You absolutely have good writings. Thanks for sharing with us your web page.

6. September 22, 2014 at 7:55 am

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I

7. September 22, 2014 at 9:51 am

Awwwwwwwww! The last screen makes my heart satisfied! And that I that way the key reason why Sunstream hasn’t sent out his “uber deliver” for connecting all of the elves around the Globe of Two Moons is lit.

8. September 22, 2014 at 11:11 am
  9. September 22, 2014 at 1:56 pm
  10. September 22, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Dan has been using computers from around the age of two! He is self taught and eager to start your project!

11. September 23, 2014 at 12:53 am

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually know what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my site =). We could have a link exchange arrangement between us!

12. September 23, 2014 at 3:12 am
  13. September 23, 2014 at 3:24 am

I must show some appreciation to you for rescuing me from such a difficulty. Because of exploring throughout the world wide web and obtaining strategies which are not beneficial, I thought my entire life was done. Being alive devoid of the solutions to the difficulties you’ve sorted out by means of the article is a critical case, as well as ones that could have negatively damaged my career if I had not encountered your site. Your actual capability and kindness in playing with all areas was useful. I don’t know what I would have done if I had not encountered such a thing like this. I’m able to now relish my future. Thanks a lot so much for the high quality and results-oriented guide. I will not hesitate to endorse the blog to anybody who will need support on this topic.

14. September 23, 2014 at 7:05 am
  15. September 23, 2014 at 12:34 pm

It

16. September 29, 2014 at 5:56 am

I do not have any most treasured cards, but I do have most preferred gamers! My faves are Ken Caminiti, Tony Gywnn, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Junior Seau, and LaDainian Tomilinson. That’s really a lot all I am able to feel of for now.

17. September 29, 2014 at 6:08 am

Your style is very unique in comparison to other folks I have read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll just bookmark this page.

18. September 29, 2014 at 9:01 am

News On Essential Criteria For Chicago Long Distance Mover at::- CHICAGO Long Distance Moving

19. September 30, 2014 at 4:03 pm

697666 199528I enjoy, lead to I found exactly what I used to be taking a look for. 358798