China ... Eco... Health.. News
July 22, 2014, 06:30:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: arch1design.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Single travel to China  (Read 3188 times)
tommy

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2008, 12:22:17 AM »

Ok, looks like I'm the first poster ever in this forum so here it goes. I want to take a 3-4 week vacation to China starting around October 7. I'll be traveling alone for the most part but plan to connect with friends for a couple days in Beijing and Tianjin. The rest of the time I'll be on my own. At a minimum I want to see Shanghai, Beijing, 3-Rivers Dam, Xi'an. I also wouldn't mind seeing Hangzhou, Suzhou, maybe Qingdao, and want to try Sichuan for the food. I have a free round trip plane ticket from San Francisco to Shanghai but still need to book all hotels, trains, etc. I want to experience the real China, not just tourist areas. I can speak and understand very basic elementary Mandarin but not enough to have a real conversation. I don't mind hiring a guide if it's not too expensive but I'm very fit, young at heart and active so the tours for the retired crowd don't interest me. I'm also a very active hockey player so it'd be cool if I could hook up with some adult league players for some games while I'm there if possible. Another thing I'd love to do is learn how to hand-pull la mian (拉面).

It would be great to hear suggestions from anyone with experience on places to go, things to do, places to eat, how to survive as a single visitor or any other advice you might have.

Thanks in advance for the ideas!
-tommy

Oh, btw, I'm over 40 so although I'm in great shape and very active I'm not up for staying in youth hostels.
Zedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:09:35 AM »

First thing you've only got 3 - 4weeks so to it does not give you much time to enjoy China if your travelling.

Only if you really have to would I go to Xian this trip.

You can get some good discounts (70%) on 5 Star hotels on sites such as
http://www.asiarooms.com/china/shanghai.html?gclid=CNuKvN3bvJUCFQlStAodwHmQYQ

Good Train travel site http://www.seat61.com/China.htm

Hangzhou well worth the vist, you can find some good less expensive restuarants on the side streets.

Also good place to get away from the hustle and bustle for a few days is Putuoshan
a buddhist island.
http://www.hpmuseum.org/china/trip4/putuoshan.htm

It may be touristy but no traffic.
Also you can eat in the monks kitchens at the top of the mountain
You said you was fit so you should make up the steps.
However dont forget to buy knee pads if you intend kissing every step

You get to it via Ningbo
Nice 5 star Hotel there but you may get a knock on your room door late at nite from
female Chinese lady Wink if you stay in business class - be warned !

tommy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:22:07 PM »

First thing you've only got 3 - 4weeks so to it does not give you much time to enjoy China if your travelling...

Thanks for all the tips Zedi. I bookmarked the links and will check out all of them before booking anything.
skyjet

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 02:35:44 AM »

Dont eat at the food stalls on the street to often.

Some enterprising characters can be seen at drains near local restaurants , at the dead of night, with a bucket scooping the cooking oil off the top of the water.

Happy Travels
Skyjet
mimi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 03:55:28 AM »

I found your foreign guys are interesting, you can always find things in a different view.  Smiley

It's a long vacation, you can explore China from east coast (Shanghai-Suzhou-Hangzhou), the central part (Sichuan-to see panda and nature spots, Xi'an-to experience the history) to the north (Beijing, Tianjin).

For Shanghai and other east coast places check out my site http://color-wind.blogspot.com for some information and pictures.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: